Thursday, May 27, 2010

Slow Motion Running

Last night, I ran with Christy (from It Just Looks Like Slow Motion).  We've been friends since high school (Christy graduated the year before me).  We were in choir together and sat next to each other for a year.  I loved the girl then and I still love the girl now.  Last night was the first time that we had seen each other for EIGHT years.  CRAZY!  We found each other again a couple of years ago through our personal blogs and discovered that we both had picked up running at the same time.

Christy has been a pretty big inspiration in my running.  We're almost exactly the same pace (she thinks that I'm faster than her, and I think that she is faster than me) and we've done a lot of the same distances (yeah, I've done more half marathons than her, but she did a FULL marathon in January and plans to do THREE more this fall/winter!).

Anyway, last night I met her at my favorite running path.  It's almost exactly a 5K around this man-made lake near my house.  It rolls a little, but the path is great and it's really pretty up there (except when you are eating bugs, like we were last night - and when I got in my car and looked in the mirror, I had a bug plastered under my eye - Christy, why didn't you tell me this??) and it has never gotten boring for me.  So we went around once and we were both suffering.  It was pretty hilarious.  I never, EVER talk during runs like I did with her and it had a major affect on my breathing, which made me work a lot harder than I wanted to.  And she is still trying to acclimate to the altitude.  We just kept laughing at how pathetic it was.  But we're going to meet up again next week!  I already can't wait! 

And I'll have to run more before then, so I don't look as pathetic.  Anything that I can use for motivation, right?

5 comments:

Pining for Pinterest said...

Don't you love to have running partners!?

Unknown said...

I hear bugs are great protein....important for growing baby. Ha!

L.B. said...

Running partners are awesome. Yay for Christy!

Christy said...

It WAS pretty pathetic how much we were suffering. Maybe it was all the talking. And the altitude. Next time let's crank up our iPods and leave the chit chat for after the run! hahaha.

Bring on the Wasatch Back! I can't wait! I can tell that you and I will both be cracking up in Van 1 for the majority of the race. Even if it is just to make fun of how pathetically slow we both are...hahaha.

Jill said...

yes, anything that helps motivate is totally legit :).