Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Cousin Mike

I have a lot of cousins.  On my Dad's side of the family I have 42 first cousins. I feel kind of like Tula in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when I say that.  But unlike Tula, I am NOT close to my cousins.  Sure I have contact with a handful of them on Facebook.  But there is QUITE an age gap between me and the majority of my cousins, since my dad  was 11 years after the last of his 6 older siblings was born.  SURPRISE!  My grandma was almost a grandma when she had my dad (that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean, right?)

One of my favorite pictures of my dad and my grandma circa 1961.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

So, my cousin Mike is crazy.  OK, he's not crazy, he just runs ultras.  Which means he's crazy.

Tomorrow morning (June 8th) he will be starting a VERY serious ultra endeavor.  My cousin Mike is running across the state of Idaho.  Starting at the western border tomorrow morning, he will run 50 MILES A DAY until he reaches the eastern border and the town of Victor, ID (just before Jackson Hole). 

Let me says that again: 50 MILES A DAY!!!  For 9 days straight!!!

He "says" that he's always wanted to do it (no one else has run across Idaho - I should do that!) and he has joined with an incredible organization and is using his crazy running as a fund raiser.

So, I'm here today to brag about my amazing cousin.  And to beg ask you to check out his blog Mike's Extra Mile and read his short story of why he is doing this run.  And maybe, if you are feeling generous, donate to his cause.  I can't think of a better way to spend an extra $10 than to help out kids that fight cancer.

3 comments:

Becca Lund said...

wow, your cousin is awesome. And crazy.

Questionably Texan said...

If I were to run across Idaho, I would run across the Northern section. Clearly Mike is more dedicated than I, if he's running across the widest portion!

Jill said...

WOW, that is awesome!! He looks like the crazies all around me running up Mt. Evans last week. I wish him well, keep us posted! :)