Friday, March 30, 2012

Out Like a Lamb?

The weather forecast for tomorrow has me re-thinking my goals.

Well, not re-thinking, more... letting goal of the dream.

I've trained in all kinds of bad weather this year.  Rain, snow, slush/ice on the roads, wind.  But tomorrow is something that you can't really plan to train for, when your race is in March in Utah.

Tomorrow's high is 77º.

Oh, and it's supposed to be mega windy starting at 9am, which coincidentally is race time.

Mega windy = 20 mph, gusting to 40 mph.

And the winds are blowing out of the south... so that means for the first half of the race, I will be running directly into the wind.

And for the last half, I'll have a nice tail wind - except for the .25 before the finish line that will be running into the wind again.

Wish me luck.  Running directly into the wind sucks and I know that it will take a lot of my energy, so I'm not planning on a sub-2 finish anymore.  But I won't just be giving up... I'll still be running my best and I'll take whatever I can get.

I run my best when it is 40º outside... but tomorrow during the race it will be 20º warmer.  That means I'll probably be about 15 seconds per mile slower that my best.  I'm still hoping for a PR, but I won't be upset if it doesn't happen.  (At least, I will try to act like I'm not upset.)  This is the first race of the year and I know that I will be running more half marathons, so I will have my chance to get sub-2 soon enough.

March: In like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb Freaking Windy Loser.


*Obligatory picture of my little cutie*

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck however it turns out!!

Allie said...

Good luck! You guys will be great!