Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Its a Mad World

How do you respond after you find out a tragedy has taken place along your normal running route?

The article that I just read told me the police have said:

 "that investigators believe her death was an "isolated act" and not random, saying joggers and other recreationists shouldn't have to worry about a killer on the loose in that area."

But how do you not worry?  This happened sometime on Sunday, after my 10 mile run on Saturday along the same path.  The half marathon that I am running in less than 3 weeks is the same route.  Will I feel different when I run past the place that they found her?

I don't know what to feel.  It hard to wrap your head around something like this.  In a place where you always felt safe.

But this is just ANOTHER reminder that we all need to be safe and cautious on our runs.  Go with a partner when you want to run those isolated trails.  Run near busy roads.  Tell people where you are going (and what you are wearing).  Use a treadmill.

Be safe.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Wow, that's awful. That poor girl. How do they know it was isolated and who the hell would do that to a 15 year old for crying out loud!!!?!?!

I don't blame you for being a little leery about the path. Something awful happened near there and that's hard to put out of your mind.

Be safe out there girl.

Momma Twitch said...

I thought the same thing too. Pretty crazy... I'm hesitant to read the article just cause I don't want to think about running past that spot. Gives me the chills....

Unknown said...

Umm, that is scary and sad. Be very careful.

Blaine said...

A former schoolmate of my son goes to the same school she did. It's pretty shocking, but you just be careful or come south and run with us one of these Saturdays. :)

Jill Campbell said...

So sad. This girl was in some of Tess' classes at the beginning of the year. Be careful!