Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Finally Lost the Baby Weight

Hi, my name is Whitney and I really like food.

... ... ... ... ...

A couple of months ago, I started a weight loss "competition" with my family.  And as of today I have lost 5 lbs.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's a pretty big deal to me.  I am now officially 2 lbs lighter that I was when I got pregnant in 2010 (almost exactly two years ago).

"They" say that when you get pregnant, it takes 9 months to put the weight on, and 9 months to get it off.  But for me it was more like 9 months + 6 months.

Let me tell you something again: I really like food.  And not the food that is good for me (although, yes I guess I like some of that stuff).  But I really like candy.  And cookies.  And brownies.  And Doritos.  And Mexican Coke.  And candy.  And chocolate.  And candy.

Anyway, I have a couple of tools that I want to share that have helped me lose the weight.

First: My Fitness Pal.  Do you know this free app?  Do you have it?  Do you use it?  Because it's AWESOME.  It is so easy (for me) to use.  I always have my phone with me (sidenote: I finally have a smartphone), so any time that I eat ANYTHING I enter it into my app.  And it has this great barcode scanner as part of the app, so it makes adding food super easy.
Also, it tracks your exercise and you "earn" more calories when you workout.  So it's extra motivation for me to workout, since I like to eat.
Get this.  Use it.  Add friends (like me, luckyduckywb).  Love it.  Lose weight.

Second: The Nike Training Club app.  This one is geared for women, but that doesn't mean guys can't use it too!  In fact, maybe that's more of a plus for the guys, because they have pictures and video of how to do all of the moves, and the girls are mostly in shorts and sports bras.  Anyway, this is super convenient when the weather is bad, or when my husband isn't home and Katie doesn't want to nap after I get home from work, because for a lot of the workouts you don't even need weights.  It's your own little personal trainer that counts down until the next move and then beeps and tells you what to do next.  I love it.  And so do my legs.

And yes, I'm also running.  I'm training for a half marathon at the end of March, but when I started the family "competition" I wasn't doing any running, so these two apps helped me lose weight during the holidays.  And that is a major WIN in my book.

And maybe my clothes still fit the same (for the most part), but I feel different in them. 

Yes, I still have a muffin top, but that is just more motivation to keep working on it.

It's my birthday on Monday.  And as a reward for my weight loss, I bought myself two pairs of running shoes.  Yay me!

4 comments:

Jill said...

That's fantastic, congratulations!! Keep up the great work! :)

Momma Twitch said...

Way to go!!! Myfitnesspal is the BEST!! Thanks for the Nike app tip, I'll have to try that one out, too. Are you running the Riverton half? That's a good one, I've decided NOT to run it with a stroller, I totally forgot about those hills until you mentioned something. Haha! Keep up the good work and Happy birthday on Monday!

Beccarigg said...

YAY! Congrats on losing the baby weight! It is HARD! especially that last 5 lbs! I am a food lover too so I totally feel ya on the candy cookies and doritos thing. : ) That's awesome that you lost the weight with my fitness pal! I will totally add you on there! I've been using it for a little over a month and I love it. Helped me lose the 5 lbs I gained over Christmas and right now I'm just using it to maintain my weight and make sure I get enough calories with my marathon training. It's awesome how it adds your workout calories and also shows you when you need more carbs, protein, vitamins, etc.. Anyway, congrats again and Happy Birthday on Monday!

Lynn Baldwin said...

How about a nice flapjack breakfast at Jim's on your birthday? My treat.